INCENTIVE$ pay supplements are available for teachers, assistant teachers, and directors throughout New Mexico who work in licensed early care and education centers, or registered or licensed family child care homes.
In Santa Fe County alone, Early Head Start educators are also eligible if they work with children under 3, through private funding. The state funds are focused on child care program educators at this time, and are not available for Head Start and Early Head Start teachers. NMAEYC is hopeful of providing INCENTIVE$ to a broader array of educators in the future. (Head Start, Early Head Start and public school NM PreK assistant teachers are welcome to apply now, and they will be put on a waiting list for when NMAEYC is able to get funding.)
- Child care or education professional must currently earn less than $16 an hour
- Candidate must work at least 10 hours per week with children under 5
- Candidate must have taken at least 5 credit hours of early childhood education college classes or 70 credit hours of well-rounded college coursework
- Candidate must work for either:
- A licensed child care and education center;
- A registered or licensed family child care home;
- Or (SANTA FE COUNTY ONLY) An Early Head Start program.
- In a center, candidate must work in a room with at least one of the children younger than age 5 OR be a director-employee
- The candidate’s center must serve at least one child on state child care subsidy
- In a family child care home, at least one NON-RELATIVE child must be younger than 5
- If working in a family child care home, the home must be listed on NewMexicoKids Child Care Resource and Referral as open to serving children under 5, including those on child care subsidy
The INCENTIVE$ Project has helped me so much financially, it has been a blessing to be able to receive INCENTIVE$ to not only better my life, but also the lives of the children I care for every day. The incentives have helped me to seek more early childhood classes, to better the children, my program, and the community.”
-Angelica Vanchaik, NM Infant-toddler teacher
Do you have questions about the INCENTIVE$ program? Please contact us.