Teachers, assistant teachers, directors, principals, and family child care home professionals are eligible for a T.E.A.C.H. scholarship if they meet the 5 criteria listed below.
Five Criteria for T.E.A.C.H. Eligibility
1. High school diploma or GED
Applicants must already have a high school diploma or GED.
2. Work at least 20 hours a week
The applicant must work at least 20 hours a week as a teacher or director at one of the following programs:
- Early childhood program licensed by the Children, Youth and Families Department or recognized by a Native American tribe
- Head Start or Early Head Start program
- Public school NM PreK-funded classroom
- Registered or licensed family child care home
Or as a:
- Home visitor working for an agency contracting with CYFD
- NM PreK or NM FOCUS Consultant
- Training and Technical Assistance Program staff
- Early interventionist employed by an agency with a grant from the Department of Health FIT Program
- Adjunct higher education faculty teaching early childhood courses
3. Enrollment in an Early Childhood Education Degree Program
The applicant must be currently enrolled or interested in enrolling in an early childhood education degree program at a college or university in New Mexico.
4. Continue Working at Current Program
Applicants must be willing to commit to working at their current early childhood program for the year of the scholarship plus one additional year.
5. Employer Support
Applicants must believe that their employer will be willing to pay a portion of the scholarship costs and in many cases provide paid release time from work to allow the applicant to attend courses. T.E.A.C.H. will help pay for paid release time.
Note: T.E.A.C.H. scholarships are only available for people who are currently working in or for early childhood programs. Scholarships are NOT available for college programs such as elementary education, special education or family studies. Scholarships are only available for early childhood education.
Do you have any other questions about T.E.A.C.H. eligibility or the application process? Don't hesitate to contact us.
Like the T.E.A.C.H. Facebook Page to keep up with T.E.A.C.H. news & opportunities!